When most people's marriage gets to the point where it seems as if it is irreversibly broken, their immediate action is to pursue a divorce. Divorce is not always the right option. If you are considering divorce, you may want to explore another option: legal separation. Legal separation allows a couple to remain married yet legal and financially live apart. The same issues that are often addressed during divorce proceedings can be addressed as part of a legal separation agreement. How assets and property will be divided, who will retain custody of the children, who will provide child support and alimony, as well as many other marital issues can all be incorporated into a standard separation agreement. Some of the benefits of filing for legal separation rather than divorce include:
- Each party being given the time and freedom to determine if the marriage is in fact irreversibly broken and divorce is imminent.
- Assets and property will be protected once a legal separation agreement is approved by the court, and until divorce proceedings are finalized, if that is what the couple decides to do.
- Medical and other benefits which would normally cease following a divorce, can be allowed to continue on.
- Some individuals' religious beliefs are in direct conflict with the idea of divorce. Legal separation is a way in which those individuals can be given the opportunity to move on with their own life while still maintaining the legal marital status for religious purposes.
- Spouses of active military personnel may want to delay divorce until after they have been married for at least 10 years, as this is when certain military spousal benefits go into effect.
If you are unsure whether to file for legal separation or divorce, a Springfield, MO lawyer from their firm will be happy to sit down with you and discuss your option. Their firm has represented clients in all types of divorce and family law-related cases, so they are more than qualified to provide you with sound legal advice. Their lead attorney has earned a National Advocacy Center award for Excellence in Advocacy and has received a 10.0 Superb Rating on Avvo. The firm's commitment to providing personalized representation to their clients is resolute. They take pride in doing everything they can to assist clients in achieving a positive resolution to whatever situation they face. To find out what their firm can do for you, reach out to Worsham Law Firm immediately.